Tips to Plan Your School Day Out
The Out of the Box weekday program is designed to fit within a school day making it easy for you and your students to attend. If you can't find the answer to your question below, try our Out of the Box festival FAQs page, QPAC's FAQs page or please contact us.
- Group bookings are processed on a first-come-first-served basis. To avoid disappointment, we encourage you to book as early as possible. Bookings are now open.
- Payment to QTIX is due by Friday 11 May 2018, after which we cannot guarantee your booking or seating allocation.
- Please identify all mobility and other individual needs requirements when you make your booking. The festival site is wheelchair accessible with access to lifts. However, if you require wheelchair seating in the theatre, let us know when booking.
- Before booking, check age suitability ranges on the relevant event pages on the Out of the Box festival website.
- If you've never attended Out of the Box festival before and are not sure what to expect, don't worry – our Festival Buddies are here to help. For no additional cost, school groups can request a buddy to help them navigate the festival site and ensure you arrive on time for performances and workshops.
- When working with the group sales team to put together your itinerary, please consider the times and routes required to move between venues across the festival site.
Preparing for the Festival
- The Out of the Box festival team have written a range of Creative Learning Guides that align with the curriculum and are specific to each in-theatre experience, workshop and activity. Make sure you become familiar with these in lead-up to the festival as they reference curriculum links and feature learning activities.
- Make sure you keep your booking details handy. We will also send you a reminder email a couple of weeks out from the festival.
Getting to the Festival
- School groups who have Day Passes for Out of the Box festival will be entitled to travel free of charge during off peak travel times on Queensland Rail CityTrain services, from their nominated boarding station to the festival at QPAC. One adult per two children is permitted to travel for free provided the group is pre-booked via the Queensland Rail group booking office. Travel is only valid on the day of their booking. Find out more about free train travel for school groups here.
At the Festival
- We encourage you to familiarise yourself with your itinerary and the festival map so you can make the most of your day.
- We suggest you arrive 30 minutes before starting your day to allow plenty of time to orient your group to the festival site, make a toilet stop and find your performance or workshop venue.
- Please allow at least 15 minutes to get to each performance, activity or workshop.
- Please allow sufficient time within your day for breaks.
- There are large spaces for school groups to rest and eat in the Cascade Court or on the Cultural Forecourt.
- Festival volunteers are identifiable by their brightly coloured t-shirts and lanyards and are highly visible across QPAC. Feel free to ask our volunteers for directions and up-to-date program information.
- Front of House staff in QPAC uniforms will also be available to assist your school groups.
After the Festival
- Don’t forget to dance, sing and read with your children.
If you've never attended the Out of the Box festival before and are not sure what to expect, don't worry – our Festival Buddies are here to help.
For no additional cost, school groups can request a buddy to help them navigate the festival site and ensure you arrive on time for performances and workshops. Our buddies are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis and will make contact with you prior to your visit to confirm final arrangements.
At the Festival Buddies section in the school booking request form, simply choose 'Yes'Make a School Booking